TechnoMagicians Blog

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic – Arthur C. Clarke.

TechnoMagicians Blog header image 2

Microsofts Ridiculous Solution For Remote Debugging Across Domains

May 12th, 2005 · No Comments

This is a totally unacceptable suggestion by Microsoft to do Remote Debugging Across Domains. I actually just want to debug while not being part of any domain at all. Here is the ridiculous suggestion as found here:

Remote debugging with the default transport uses DCOM. DCOM security prevents remote debugging across Windows NT domains and across the public Internet unless the domains have two-way trust.

Remote debugging using the TCP/IP (native only) transport depends on IP ports that will be closed on most firewalls, preventing remote native debugging across the public Internet.

If you need to debug across domains that do not have two-way trust, you can use Terminal Server.

To debug across domains that do not have two-way trust

  1. Use Terminal Server to log into a machine on the other domain. The machine you log into should have Visual Studio installed.
  2. Launch Visual Studio on the machine you have logged into under Terminal Server.
  3. You can now debug an application on the machine you have logged into under Terminal Server or use remote debugging to debug an application on another machine in the same domain.

On Windows XP Professional, remote debugging is disallowed by default, because of the default security setting for “sharing and security model for local accounts.” To debug between two Windows XP Professional machines on different domains, you must change this setting.

To change the security setting to allow debugging between Windows XP Professional machines on different domains

  • Perform the following procedure on both machines:
    1. From the Start menu, choose Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, double-click Administrator tools.
    3. In the Administrative tools window, double-click Local Security Policy.
    4. Under Security Settings, open the Local Policies folder.
    5. In the Local Policies folder, select Security Options.
    6. In the Policy column, find Network access: sharing and security model for local accounts and double-click on it.
    7. In the Network access: sharing and security model for local accounts dialog box, change the setting to Guest only – local users authenticate as Guest and click OK.
    8. Close the window and restart the machine.

You can now do remote debugging using the same user name on both machines.

You mean to tell me I have to install all the development tools on the server. This is a development server but I still don't want to load it up with all kinds of crap. Not to mention I might as well throw out my workstation and go sit in the server room at the console. This is the kind of domain wonk crap I have to put up with when working on Microsoft stuff. Not to mention wasting 90% of my time leaving 10% of it to actually getting something accomplished.

Category: Software Development


0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment